Sunday, August 9, 2009

How can I disassociate an address with a joint account holder?

Last August I authorized my credit to be used in order to open up a medical billing account for an ex-boyfriend.



It was a bad dental emergency and no one else would cosign. He had/has bad credit (and now is piggy backing off mine).



The account has to be paid off before next February or else interest will incrue.



I moved away and changed the address so that I would received the bill (temporarily staying with parents due to medical issues and don%26#039;t trust him with the bill). Now we get at least 1 credit card offer a week in my ex%26#039;s name.



How do I stop this? I mean its not good for credit card offers to be circulating around where you have no control over destroying them. If I had him change his address, then the bill would probably be forwarded as well. I don%26#039;t want that. I guess I am just going to have to pay off the account and close it.



How can I disassociate an address with a joint account holder?finance





One has nothing to do with another. I understand why you changed the address so the bill would show up to your parents%26#039; house, but unless your dentist%26#039;s office is selling your name to marketers (which would make me reconsider that choice of dentist!), they are getting his name with your address some other way--is it possible he%26#039;s using that address in some bcse he knows you%26#039;re living there and wants to continue to piggyback on yr credit?



In any event, I don%26#039;t think any credit card he signs up for now will impact YOUR credit unless you also co-sign that application (or you have any concern that he might fill it out %26quot;on your behalf%26quot;).



To be careful, I%26#039;d call the big three credit authorization companies (equifax, experian and one other..can%26#039;t remember the name right now) and ask them to put a freeze on authorizations with your account. That requires them to contact you whenever anyone checks your history in order to grant credit. Then you%26#039;ll know if he%26#039;s doing this to you.



Also, as a general matter, it%26#039;s good to ask the same big three to let you %26quot;opt out%26quot; of receiving marketing materials--that means they can no longer sell your info to marketers looking for people with good credit.



Hope that helps. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment