Friday, August 7, 2009

How does identity theft happen through junk mail?

My boss is very picky about shredding his junk mail because he says things like credit card offers, etc. have his personal info on them and people could steal his identity. The thing is, whenever I respond to a credit card offer (for myself), I still have to give them all my pertinent info. SO, unless you have all that info, how can you steal someone%26#039;s identity through a piece of junk mail? Or am I right and he%26#039;s just paranoid?



How does identity theft happen through junk mail?postage rate





I guess the best way I can explain it is that ANY info an identity thief can get is too much. Your name and mailing address can sometimes be enough to put you in someones cross-hairs. Better safe then sorry



How does identity theft happen through junk mail? loan



http://www.bos.frb.org/consumer/identity...|||he is paranoid, but safe. Name and address are personal information and the less people that have access to it the safer. Bad credit card companies might just approve a card with little information on it. Some might have pre-approved information on them



you should put junk n the return envelopes like magazine clippings and mail them back. If the credit card company has to pay to get the mail back, then they might send less out. Don%26#039;t know what happens if you put something in it that is heavy or cost extra to mail!! I often send back the return postage paid envelope with a picture my daughter colored.|||There are times when what we consider junk mail is something from the credit card company.



On occassion, they will send me blank checks already to sign. They have my name and address information stamped on them just like regular checks. All anyone would have to do is find them and just sign my name with some sort of fake id.



For the most part, I think he%26#039;s being a bit paranoid.



Unless you fill out the pertinent data and throw it away, most of the time you won%26#039;t get into trouble.



Sometimes though, in the event you are pre-approved for a credit card most often, they will send you a prefilled application which you just have to confirm and sign.



This sort of thing of course can be trouble.



But as my Dad used to say. :%26quot;Better Safe than sorry%26quot;.



Junk email is sometimes worse than junk snail mail.



Good luck.|||I don%26#039;t thin someone can steal your ID w/ just your name %26amp; address. only stuff like credit card #, social, bank account #. etc. Just watch for phishing emails!

No comments:

Post a Comment