Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Is it illegal to reuse junk mail's prepaid envelopes for personal use?

I always get these stupid pre-approved credit card offers with pre-paid envelopes for the return information and I was wondering if I could use them for my own mail. What I%26#039;m thinking is this: securely tape the address of my receipient over their address and then securely tape my return address in the top left corner. I often use this method when sending boxes, so I assume the post office would still send the letters. The top right would still show the prepaid stamp. I%26#039;m not trying to do anything illegal, just use some of this junk mail for good. Thanks



Is it illegal to reuse junk mail%26#039;s prepaid envelopes for personal use?cash loan





The %26quot;Business Reply Mail%26quot; envelopes aren%26#039;t pre-paid. They%26#039;re essentially postage-due to the permit-holder who printed them, with the promise that they%26#039;ll pay the postage when they get returned. If you blanked out the address and barcodes and put a stamp on them, they%26#039;d get to your intended recipient I bet, but it%26#039;s probably more hassle than it%26#039;s worth. If you leave the barcodes on and don%26#039;t put a stamp on it, it%26#039;ll probably end up at the company that sent the mail to you anyway, since it gets sorted by barcode. If you cover up the barcodes and address and don%26#039;t put a stamp on it, it%26#039;d probably get handled just like any other unstamped mail, being postage-due to either you or the recipient, although it%26#039;s possible the post office wouldn%26#039;t like it.



Is it illegal to reuse junk mail%26#039;s prepaid envelopes for personal use? loan



i would think it would be. its stealing.|||Of course it%26#039;s illegal, the envelopes are only paid for once. Sorry to tell you.



That doesn%26#039;t mean the post office won%26#039;t send them. You don%26#039;t always get caught stealing other people%26#039;s mail either, but if you get caught, you go prison.



Just because you can do something doesn%26#039;t mean it%26#039;s legal or right. I hate junk mail, too, and if it%26#039;s working, I guess screw the credit card companies, but it is technically postage theft since they paid for it.|||Nope, but i tend to fill up the envelope and send it back to the original sender with all of the extra Junk mail i get inside the envelope. That way i get to annoy them with junk mail as well.|||I think it%26#039;s a very creative use for junk mail, but I%26#039;m pretty sure it%26#039;s stealing|||Great idea, alas it won%26#039;t work. Keep thinking though and keep us posted|||we could always try it and see you go first and tell me if you get nicked then if all is well then i%26#039;ll try it i dont care i think its a damn good idea and look at it this way at least we%26#039;d be doing our bit for the planet|||I just stuff them full of other junk mail that I get from everywhere else and send it back. I am tired of the constant junk that I get from credit card companies.|||Yes it is illegal but i guess you could try it. Just remember if you do get caught then it%26#039;s a federal charge and you will go to prison. That alone should be enough to scare you away from the idea of reusing them. but if you choose to idk theres nothing anyone can do to stop you. but yes it is illegal and I would strongly recommend you not take the chance and just pay the measly 45 cents.|||Yes, it is illegal. The prepaid envelopes are only for responses to the junk-mail companies. You are not even allowed to reuse your own stamp when you%26#039;ve put it on a letter you haven%26#039;t sent and then want to use it on another instead.|||Just think of all the trees you are saving.|||The Business Reply envelopes are intended to be used by the company that sent them out. They would not reach the destination that you are trying to send them to. If they did you could be fined and or imprisoned. Do you think it%26#039;s worth the cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment